June 02, 2009

Racist Aussies, eh?

There's an "Ask Vir" section is his website that I stumbled upon recently. I shot my question right away. And he answers. Man, he answers. Presenting to you Vir Sanghvi, the Editorial Director of the Hindustan Times....

http://virsanghvi.com/ask-virdetail.aspx?ID=1229

My Question: Indians are crying foul over the way fellow countrymen are treated in Australia. We brand them Australians as racist. Aren't the media makng too much of this? I'm from the Northeastern state of Manipur and have been living in Delhi for the past five years. I see how Nepalis are being treated. I see how us, Northeastern guys are treated. We are called "Chinky," "Nepalis," "Bahadur," "Chinese"... Don't you think we have to do our homework first? Right here, at home.

Vir Sanghvi's response: I think Indians are an extremely rascist people. I have written about this in the past. And yes, we are getting needlessly hysterical about the Australian situation.

Here's what Vulturo has twitted regarding the issue:
Racist Aussies, eh? Why only racism is so hype-worthy? What about Caste, Class, Language and Religion based attacks in India? Hypocrites!

7 comments:

codeAries said...

hi5, @samte.

Mizohican said...

We are all one big heap of hypocrite dump. Completely agree with Vulturo. What happened down-under is utterly condemnable, but we too are not free from any blame either. Its just that we dont thrash a person due to racial hate, but racial slurs? Oh yes, we all utter them. Shame on us first.

vaphualization said...

thanks, @codeAries and @illusionaire.

shame on them, indians! (as if am not one, he2)

mnowluck said...

Nang ding mahmah na hi.. heutupa aw.!!!! Google reader ah ka na share ve..Vulturo na gelh khial.. Vultoru ding hilo aihbangh!!

vaphualization said...

thanks m, correction done

Anonymous said...

I appreciate Lun's curiosity. Vir Sanghvi has been one of my favourite authors since he was editor of Sunday, a weekly from Calcutta. I first met him in Port Louis as one of Mrs.Sonia Gandhi's entourages. He is otherwise very simple, cigar smoking hubby type at that time. He has since given up smoking.He did everything just to gain experiences. Even now, his political commentaries are one of the most read articles in India. I should not come to his so many wonderful writings on Food & beverages unless I will not be able to stop. If offered, he will not hesitate eating sathumeh also.

Best wishes Lun and keep on exploring the roads less travelled.
-Pa Kam

vaphualization said...

One of my best memories of HT was having Vir as the big boss. He was particularly interested in the Northeast and comissioned me to do many articles on the region the people, the food, culture etc. He was always encouraging and a fantatic boss. Even now when I meet him at social gatherings, he's most polite and warm. He is actually a very civil and a good human being with a large heart.
-Hoihnu Hauzel