May 12, 2007

Spirit of an NRZ

These days, people keep on changing their contact numbers. Apparently from other connections to Hutch, or from old Hutch to new Hutch. I just don’t get the whole thing. Maybe Hutch comes up with package of special offers. Special offers? For me, it’s a killer offer. It kills. I’ve been sticking with my number (read as connection) for years, and I plan to keep that way. It means a whole lot more to me than just numerical numbers and the convenience they give us. It’s about perseverance, loyalty, fidelity, and the likes.

Last night I called up Ms. X to inquire if she knows the new contact number of a particular friend. Again, it’s a Hutch number. The moment we started talking, things seemed to flow smoothly. The fact that I called her for a specific purpose almost slipped off my mind. Unfortunately, she didn’t have what I were looking for, albeit the conversation just went on. We talked, we joked, we laughed, and eventually our topic wandered off into – yes, you’re right – romance!

Hey, don’t get me wrong here.

We talked about love in general. Which is when the conflict started.

I mentioned about her boyfriend, how good they look, how happy she is, how lucky she is that she’s the center of everyone’s attraction, that so many guys are crazy about her…

“You are talking nonsense, this is too much,” said she. My God, did I say something wrong? But hey, I was just…. She didn’t give a damn. Then the line went dead.

She probably thought I was flattering her and all. But I swear I wasn’t. This is what everybody does. This is what we usually do. Us, from Zogam. That’s the way a boy talks to a girl, back home. I was saying all sort of things to her just for the sake of it. To keep the conversation going. And it didn’t have much bearing on me.

I texted her saying sorry.

She replied back, “Oh, don’t take me in a wrong way. You were making me blush with all the complements, so I just said that. Don’t mind. Hope you’ve got what you’ve been looking for.”

“I tend to forget there’s a huge cultural barrier right between us, Delhites and Lamkans, and I was just doing our usual rounds! Which makes you blush. Which makes me realize my wrongs. We’ve gotta try to break the ice that sits freezing between us… so that we all could live as one!”

This is what she’s got to say, “Hey, even though I might be brought up outside Zogam, let me tell you that I’m very much like you all. I know my identity and maybe at times I may not reach the level of jokes you guys crack, but I’m so much into being a Zomi.”

“You may not reach the level of jokes we crack.” I replied her. “We may not reach the level of education you attain, your wit, wisdom, chawkeeness, vaipau siamdaans and all. We’ve gotta help each other grow. Help us, we’ll help you. Tell this to your Delhi Zomi friends in every way you can.”

Now, this is the kind of spirit every NRZ (Non-Residential Zomis) should have.

6 comments:

Siam Tonsing said...

So, who would she be?

vaphualization said...

shhhh! if i tell u here, her bf would be infuriated!!!! he'd kill me!

mnowluck said...

ken chu ka thei... :P

Na blog layout leng hong mak berbur ve le.. :D

vaphualization said...

thei mawk maw!

va khoih buarchuar kha keivoi, tutan le bawl dikthei nailou!

Mizohican said...

It sounds like you had some other intentions when you called her up... lolzzzz *big grin* naughty you tsk tsk tsk... haha.

vaphualization said...

i didn't, it just came up, you know, like i said... suddenly things began to flow smoothly. actually, i mean words, not things!!! you're the naughty one hehe!