December 04, 2007

Innocence Revisited

Some months back, I was visiting a neighbor. The couple had a little boy, who is just about 8 or 9, I guess. That time the father was out at work and used to return late. We talked about how unsafe Delhi nights had become, even for guys. The local goons could beat us up for no apparent reasons. Anytime. Anyplace. The mom said, “I’m dreading that he may face these…” Then came a quick reply from the boy, “Never! Nobody would beat my dad. Nobody could ever do that. He’s so strong. Even his slap was pretty hard, it gave my face a crack!”

I had a good laugh with his mom. In fact, I couldn’t stop laughing for a very long time. I laughed at his innocence. So cute.

And when I looked into the boy’s eyes, I saw myself standing there – a 9-year-old kid looking upto the Superman, the Magician, the Police and the Doctor that’s within my dad! Cute little me! I had been there, I had done that, and still doing ...

© vaphualization

This piece is written as a “comment” on Lealyan Thawmte’s Zogam.com article “Innocence Revisited.”

Parents are someone a child looks upto. And in all reality, in fact - a fact that parents are their models and most important figures and often, the deciding factor in the child's growth and outlook- and how he or she turns out eventually. I also believed that there actually is a stage when a child truly believed that their parents are capable of anything. Nothing, no sweet persuasions, no amount of cajoling or chocolates or ice-creams can take away that belief and trust.

Read the rest here.

No comments: